Pike County Judicial CenterPikeville, Kentucky
Pike County Judicial Center
The Pike County Judicial Center, located on Main Street, is one block from the existing County Courthouse. It is the first LEED Silver Certified Judicial Center in Kentucky. The design features arched windows to the exterior in all courtrooms, and the first and second floors are connected by a monumental open stair. The main lobby and all courtrooms are inundated with natural light from the generously sized windows.
The Project Development Board requested an exterior design that was traditional in nature, while incorporating the style and context of the local community. The primarily brick facade is anchored with a natural limestone entry and corners. Generous stone detailing, traditional cornices and flemish bond brick panels enhance the classical design.
Pike County Judicial Center earned LEED certification featuring the following sustainable features:
- Low Emitting Materials – Adhesives and Sealants, Paints and Coatings, Carpet systems, Composite Wood and Agrifiber
- Lighting and Thermal Comfort Occupancy Controls
- Building thermal comfort assessment
- Mechanical and Electrical Systems Commissioning
- Improved Indoor Air Quality Performance
- Reduced Heat island effect roof – Roof SRI = 92, Minimized impact on microclimate and human and wildlife inhabitants
- Environmentally friendly vegetated (green) roof
- Natural Copper Roofing System with highly recycled content
- Optimize energy performance – 21% Improvement compared to ASHRAE/IESNA Standard 90.1 – 2004
- Water Efficient Landscaping – No Irrigation
- Bicycle Storage and Changing Rooms
- Preferred parking for low-emitting and fuel efficient vehicles
- Parking size to not exceed minimum local zoning requirements
- Permeable Pavement Systems/Storm Water Design Quality Control – Reducing impervious cover, increasing on site infiltration, and managing storm water runoff
- Increase demand for building products that incorporate recycled content materials
- Increase demand for building materials and products that are extracted and manufactured within the region.