Lawrence County Judicial CenterLouisa, Kentucky
Dramatic Radiused Stone Entry Creates a One-Story Canopy With Limestone Columns
The new Lawrence County Judicial Center is located on 6 acres along Route 23 in Louisa, Kentucky.
The exterior design reflects a contemporary interpretation of a traditional design demonstrating the importance and permanence of the courts. The use of brick and limestone incorporates a dramatic radiused stone entry that creates a one-story canopy with limestone columns. Arched windows accentuate the second floor courtroom. The sloped natural zinc roof and the gable ends provide a traditional top to the more contemporary features below.
The interior includes a monumental stair and an interior second floor balcony. The main lobby and all courtrooms is flooded with natural light from the generously sized window openings. Cherry millwork occurs throughout, with terrazzo floors and stone tile wainscoting throughout the public areas. A remote teller station is provided for vehicular access to the Clerk’s office.
The Judicial Center is designed to achieve Energy Star and includes the following sustainable features:
- Geothermal heating and cooling system.
- Commissioning of mechanical and electrical systems.
- Improved indoor air quality performance.
- Low-emitting building materials.
- Permeable pavement system to reduce water runoff.
- Environmentally friendly natural zinc roofing system with high-recycled content.