FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: January 27, 2020
Sherman Carter Barnhart Architects
Lexington, KY: Sherman Carter Barnhart Architects, a leading regional architecture firm with offices in Lexington, Louisville and Paducah, announced today the promotion of Kevin Matthews to Principal and seven other professionals to Associate Principal.
“These talented and valued members of our team have consistently demonstrated the core leadership traits that have been fundamental to Sherman Carter Barnhart’s successes,” said Mike Smith, the firm’s president. “With these well-earned promotions, we recognize their contributions to the firm in anticipation of achieving great things together in advancing firm goals and initiatives.”
Kevin Matthews, director of the Affordable Housing Studio, has been promoted to Principal. Matthews, a 35-year veteran of Sherman Carter Barnhart, has been involved in every aspect of the redevelopment of affordable housing, from renovation to demolition to re-envisioning the way neighbors interact. He has worked alongside a variety of planning and financial consultants — all the while keeping residents in mind.
“Kevin challenges staff and colleagues to pursue current technologies and embrace new challenges in pursuit of increasing service and satisfaction while maintaining client engagement,” Smith said. “His efforts have become a model of efficiency for the firm as the Affordable Housing Studio consistently performs among the firm’s top market sectors. We are pleased to see him lead the firm’s efforts to expand and pursue new geographic market areas for affordable housing and look forward to continued success together.”
The following professionals were promoted to Associate Principal.
- Allison Commings, AIA, CID, LEED AP, Associate Principal. Commings has been with Sherman Carter Barnhart since 2007 and has worked as a project manager in SCB’s Education Studio. Her projects have included higher education, as well as public & private K-12 projects throughout Kentucky.
- Andrew Owens, AIA, CID, Associate Principal. Owens joined Sherman Carter Barnhart in 2014 and was the American Institute of Architects, Kentucky, Emerging Professional in 2015. He is currently working on higher education, as well as public and private K-12 projects.
- Brandon Ward, Associate Principal, Affordable Housing. Ward joined SCB 15 years ago and has worked on numerous projects with affordable housing clients throughout the region.
- Ian McHone, AIA, Associate Principal. Since joining Sherman Carter Barnhart, McHone has worked on the master plan and design for several church projects. He is also managing a variety of projects in the firm’s K-12 studio. His past work specialized in historic preservation and modern infill projects.
- Jennifer Cash, AIA, Associate Principal. Cash is a project manager and in the firm’s Education Studio and has managed projects at SCB for over a decade. She manages K-12 projects throughout Kentucky, and focuses her work on zero-energy and zero-energy-emerging projects.
- Susan Mooney, Associate Principal, Director of Finance. As the Director of Finance, Mooney oversees the firm’s financials and works with colleagues on the firm’s long-term vision and strategies. She’s been with the firm 19 years.
- Tony Pham, Associate Principal, Director of Construction Administration. Pham is a leader of the firm’s efforts for consistency and efficiency in Construction Administration. Pham’s projects include work on college and university campuses, K-12 education projects, and judicial centers.
All promotions take effect immediately.
Sherman Carter Barnhart in Lexington, Kentucky, is a regional firm serving clients since 1979 in over 10 sectors including P-12 education, higher education, multi-family housing, corporate, government, hospitality, civic, and institutional markets.
Sherman Carter Barnhart Architects